Saturday, May 5, 2012

Medal Without a Mini

If I don't clear this up, I will feel very dishonest!
This is my story of the 2012 Indy 500 Mini Marathon. I started planning for this mini in June of 2011, 6 weeks after my youngest son was born. I registered right away to help motivate me to run. After training for a few weeks, my running partner, Jenni, convinced me to register for two half marathons in the fall of 2011. We trained, had a blast and ran well.
Over the winter I continued to train for the 500 race. At the beginning of April I started having knee pain and over the course of a few weeks it became a debilitating injury. I could only run 7 minutes before pain would show up. I rested for a couple weeks before the race, worked with my doctor and most importantly I prayed.
Apparently God had other plans for May 5, 2012. I ran for 8-10 mins with no pain, 15 mins with pain and walked 20 more minutes through pain that scared me enough to stop moving. My goal of running a full marathon in the fall of 2012 flashed before my eyes. Was this day worth it? No, not worth ending it all over a few miles and certainly not over a medal.
So, I stopped at medical, who ironically had no medicine or supplies. They didn't even have bandaids! It was terrible.
I decided I shouldn't even try, and probably couldn't go any farther. I waited and waited...finally, after I watched thousands of people run/walk by me, the "back of the pack" bus had arrived. You know how terrible that feeling is? To step on the big failure bus? It's rough. Many of the people are laughing and having a good time. I was not. I was actually very irritated with anyone who seemed happy! That was the last place I ever pictured myself!
So, we take off toward the start/finish area. All of the sudden the bus stops. The driver yells, one mile from the finish.
CONFUSION!
I was so confused. Everyone was exiting the bus. I asked the girl next to me if we had to, she say yes! I'm petrified of moving and now I have to walk a mile? Yes, that was correct. They dumped us off with runners who had ran the whole race while I skipped mile 7,8,9,10,11 and 12. At this point in the race you can not exit or enter. Barricades and bridges stop any chance of escape. I am forced to cross the finish line. Still confused and looking around as I limp on in, wonder if the cheering people would throw things at me if I told them the truth. Anyway, cross the finish, they toss a medal around my neck. NO KIDDING!
So, you don't have to run the full mini to get the medal. Apparently 13.1 miles is not required for this race.
I could have let everyone think that I finished this mini (which I technically did). I just felt like a big liar and cheater since I skipped the middle!
So there is the truth! I certainly feel better! You can still be proud of me of you want (joking), or you can wait until I'm healthy and run again. For now, I need to focus on an MRI, some physical therapy and some rest for this mess of a knee.
CM&N
By the way, if anyone wants to run the Geist half marathon, my bib is up for grabs!

No comments:

Post a Comment